Schengen Visa For Vietnam Passport Holders
Laura Amber, Tourism Guide
Information on Schengen visas for Vietnam passport holders given here is the most recent. You will also know the process of successfully applying for one. Vietnam is an important travel market for countries not only in the Schengen visa zone but the rest of Europe. Close to 100,000 Vietnamese nationals were issued with Uniform Schengen visas in Hanoi in the past year alone. The trend is expected to continue with more and more citizens visiting Europe and the rest of the world. For the purposes of this guideline, you will get the latest information for a Schengen visa requirement as a Vietnamese citizen.
What is Schengen Visa?
In 1985 in the Schengen town of Luxembourg, an agreement was made that has since removed travel restrictions in 26 Schengen countries. This created a Schengen zone allowing citizens of these countries to travel across the countries without any visa requirement. Additionally, citizens from other countries require only one visa to traverse all these countries. This is for a maximum of 90 days in a 180-day period allowed. With this agreement and that of the EU, national boundaries in Europe have been relegated to just map illustrations; citizens in Europe can move freely without the need for visas or too many border controls.
Citizens from other countries intending to travel to the Schengen Zone can be divided into three categories;
- Visa-free. These are visitors to the Schengen zone who are not required to apply for a visa before entering the Schengen zone. For example UK citizens, and UAE citizens among others.
- Schengen visa. These are travelers that intend to travel to Schengen states for a short period of a maximum of 90 days and require a Schengen visa. For example Vietnam citizens, and Indian citizens among many others.
- Those wishing to travel to Schengen countries and stay for more than three months and therefore require national visas.
What is the Schengen visa for Vietnam passport holders? It is an authorization for a Vietnamese to travel to one or more countries from the Schengen visa bloc. A Vietnamese must apply for and get issued a Schengen visa in Vietnam. However, you will only need to apply for one visa from an embassy in one Schengen member state in Vietnam.
Types of Visa for Vietnam Passport Holders
There are different types of visas that you can apply for in Vietnam. These include the following depending on the reasons for your travel;
|Visa Category||Travel Reasons|
|Uniform Schengen Visas (USV)||This is for Vietnam citizens wishing to travel to any of the Schengen countries. Whether single or multiple entries, the visa will allow the holder a short visit of 90 days in the 180 days allowed.|
|Limited territorial validity visas (LTV)||This one is meant for Vietnamese citizens with the intention of visiting a given (limited) number of Schengen member states. It also allows 90 days maximum stay.|
|National Visas||This meant for Vietnamese wishing to visit a specific Schengen member state for a specific reason like study, work, research, etc after which they are expected to come back to Vietnam. This must be issued by the specific country’s embassy.|
Schengen Visa Frequencies for Vietnam
Vietnam is an important travel market for countries in Europe and Schengen. More and more people are visiting this zone for various reasons. These include business, tourism, study, and holidays among many other reasons. These are the recent statistics for Schengen visa issuance for Vietnam passport holders in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh;
Schengen Visa Application Guidelines in Vietnam
As the most basic requirement to apply for a Schengen visa in Vietnam, you need to be a Vietnamese citizen. A legal resident in the country can also apply. But you must provide good reasons for not being able to apply from your home country. However, you cannot just pop into any Schengen embassy in Vietnam and submit your Schengen visa application;
- If you want to travel to only one Schengen country, go to that country’s embassy or consulate.
- If you plan to visit more than one Schengen country, go to the embassy or consulate of the one in which your main stay will be.
- If you cannot decide where your main stay will be, go to the embassy or consulate of the country the first of which your point of entry will be.
Schengen Visa Processing Offices in Vietnam
There are Schengen embassies in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh where you can make applications for Schengen visas. There are also agents such as VFS Global where you can, for example, make a Schengen visa application if Sweden and Finland are your main destinations. If your main destinations are the Netherlands, Slovenia, and Luxembourg, you can go to the Netherlands visa application center in Ho Chi Minh City. For France and Estonia, you need to go to the France embassy. For the Schengen countries with visa application centers in Vietnam, you will need to go to their respective embassies.
Documents Required to Apply for Schengen Visa for Vietnam Passport Holders
For the Schengen visa to be processed in Vietnam, every Schengen visa applicant must submit the following documents;
- Common Schengen visa application form (Vietnamese version). That must be fully filled, dated, and signed. Submit a copy of this too.
- Covering letter outlining all the details of your travel.
- Original and copy of your national identification card.
- Proof of accommodation for a visa. This should cover your entire travel.
- Proof of financial capability covering the entire period of your travel. This should be your bank statements for the last six months.
- Proof of flight reservation for Schengen visa. This should show all the details from your name, and flight numbers to dates of travel to and fro. Get this proof by filling out the flight reservation form.
- Proof of foreign exchange (for your destination country) purchased.
- Proof of travel medical insurance for visa cover. This should be at least 30,000 Euros (or 812,830,254 Vietnamese Dong).
- Passport photos (less than six months) on a clear background. The two photos should be of high quality with no editing.
- Valid Vietnamese travel passport (issued within the last ten years) with at least two available pages and valid for at least three months after your intended return date. Also, provide past visas and copies of used passport pages.
You do not have to worry much about the essential documents you need for your visa application in Vietnam. You can always get the assistance you need from visa document providers.
Additional Documents Required for Schengen Visa in Vietnam
Depending on your particular situation, you need to furnish the visa processing office with additional documents. These include the following;
|Condition||Documents to Present|
|For transit visa|
Visa of your destination country (if not a Schengen country)
Flight ticket bought for the destination
Copies of parents’ IDs or passports (both parents)
Both parents’ approval with signatures in case the minor is traveling alone.
Court orders if only one parent has full custody of the minor.
Minor’s birth certificate
Visa application form signed by both parents
|Proof of additional income||Bank statements showing income from the additional source for the last six months|
|Proof of marriage||Marriage certificates|
|Retiree||Pension statements for the last six months|
Income Tax Return certificate
Certificate showing income tax is taken from your salary
Leave of employment (vacation) from employer
No objection letter from the employer
Letter from your employer indicating you are coming back to the position held
Pay slips (covering the last six months)
Copy of business permit
Business bank statements (for the last six months) Business income tax statement
|Relation to EU/EAA citizen|
Marriage certificates in case of a spouse.
Birth certificate in case of a child less than 21 years
Valid EU/EAA passport for the citizen
|For business purposes||Invitation letter from the business|
Letter of acceptance/offer
No objection letter from the institution.
Proof of enrollment in the institution
|For tour reasons|
Detailed tour itinerary
Proof of trip booking (for groups through tour/travel agency)
Confirmation of trip pre-payment (for individuals)
|To visit friends and relatives residing in a Schengen state|
Invitation letter by a relative or friend
Signed and dated official affidavit of support (if the friend/relative is financing the travel)
Schengen Visa Fees for Vietnam Passport Holders and Citizens
For your Schengen visa to be processed, you will need to pay the processing fees. The Schengen fees are non-refundable and must be paid in the submission of the visa application. The following are the current Schengen visa processing fees in Vietnam;
|Visa Category||Fee (in Euro)||Fee (in Vietnamese Dong)|
|Minors (past 6 years but below 12 years)||35||948,302|
|For transit Visa||60||1625661|
|Short stay (up to 90 days)||60||1,625,661|
|Extended stay (exceeding 90 days)||99||2,682,340|
|Disabled persons and persons accompanying them||Free||–|
|For studies/research/sports (applicants below 25 years)||Free||–|
|Minors (less than 6 years)||Free||–|
|Spouses of EU/EEA citizens and their children under 21||Free||–|
The process of getting a Schengen visa for Vietnam passport holders can be smooth if you have all the information needed for a successful application. Many applicants may get confused especially on the document requirements and may not know where to get them cheaply and without obligations. Fortunately, Schengen Flight Reservation Visa can provide you with the necessary visa application documents such as cover letters and flight and hotel reservations with ease.