Schengen Visa For Bangladesh Passport Holders
For the latest information in terms of Schengen visas for Bangladesh passport holders, you are in the right place. Bangladesh citizens require Schengen visas before traveling to Europe (Schengen zone). In order to get the best out of your Schengen visa requirements, you need to understand the visa application process in Bangladesh. The country is an important travel market for Europe and citizens are increasingly visiting Europe for different reasons. But what is a Schengen visa and how is it important?
What is Schengen Visa?
A Schengen visa was brought about by a Schengen agreement that was made in Luxembourg in a small town called Schengen. This 1985 agreement brought together 26 European countries and abolished any travel restrictions among them. Citizens of these countries are therefore free to travel within these countries without a visa. This arrangement created the Schengen visa zone. The creation of this zone together with the European Union means there is free movement in Europe. National boundaries are no longer important as you can cross them freely.
Citizens of other countries not in the EU or Schengen zone require a Schengen visa to enter this zone. This includes Bangladesh passport holders and residents. However, some countries have Schengen visa-free agreements with Schengen. This means that they can be exempted from visa requirements to enter the zone. Unfortunately, Bangladesh is not one of them. The Schengen visa allows a short stay of not more than 90 days. This is within the 180 days allowed. So who can apply for a Schengen visa in Bangladesh? You need to be one of these;
- Bangladesh citizen and passport holder.
- Legal resident in Bangladesh with a resident permit.
There are people who are not obligated to get a Schengen visa in Bangladesh. These include the following;
- Schengen nationals in Bangladesh
- Nationals of Schengen visa-free countries resident in Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh citizens with dual citizenship of Schengen countries or Schengen visa-free countries.
Where to Get a Schengen Visa in Bangladesh
There are Schengen embassies, consulates, and visa processing centers in Bangladesh. Once you have decided that you need a Schengen visa, you should know where to go for one. This is how you should get the correct visa processing embassy in the country;
|Travel Destination||Where to Go|
|One Schengen country||The embassy/consulate/visa center of that one country.|
|More than one Schengen country with a main country of destination.||The embassy/consulate/visa center of the country of your main destination.|
|More than one Schengen country without a way of knowing where you will spend most of your stay.||The embassy/consulate/visa center of the country of your first point of entry.|
|A Schengen country without an embassy in Bangladesh.||The embassy/consulate/visa center representing that country in Bangladesh.|
Types of Schengen Visas Issued in Bangladesh
To get the right visa for your travel circumstances, you need to understand the various visa types you can get in Bangladesh. A visa applicant can be issued with a visa that can either allow one single entry into the Schengen zone. Additionally, you can be issued a visa that will allow multiple entries into the zone. These are referred to as single-entry and multiple-entry visas respectively. The following table shows the visa types you can apply for in Bangladesh;
|Type of Visa||Details|
|Uniform Schengen Visas (USV)||For Bangladesh citizens intending to travel to or transit through any of the Schengen member states. It allows a short stay of 90 days within 180 days period. This can be issued as single or multiple entry visas.|
|Limited territorial validity visas (LTV)||For Bangladesh citizens intending to enter one country (or a few limited Schengen countries). It also covers a 90-day maximum period. It limits entry to only the specified countries.|
|National Visas||For Bangladesh citizens intending to travel, engage in studies, or employment in one of the Schengen countries. This covers the specific period for the reason of travel after which you must return to Bangladesh. This must be issued by the specific country’s embassy in Bangladesh.|
Statistics for Schengen Visa for Bangladesh Passport Holders
Bangladesh citizens have continued applying for Schengen visas in the country. Europe has remained one of the favorite destinations for travelers from Bangladesh. The number of Schengen visa applicants has grown incrementally over the years. Additionally, the percentage of visas rejected is going down. The following graph shows the statistics for Schengen visa issuance in Bangladesh in the last year.
Documents Needed for Schengen Visa in Process in Bangladesh
In order for your visa application to be considered and processed, you need to provide important documents. These documents are mandatory and should be provided in totality. The required documents are as follows;
- Covering letter outlining all your travel information.
- Common Schengen visa application form. This form can be downloaded from the embassy website or the visa processing center website. It should be filled, signed, and dated. Additionally, you should make a copy of the same and submit it.
- Valid Bangladesh passport. It should remain valid not less than three months after coming back to Bangladesh. It should also have at least two blank pages. Additionally, it should have been issued within the last 10 years. You should also provide copies of previously issued visas.
- Original and photocopy (both sides) of Bangladesh identification card.
- Two recent colored passport photos. Should be on a clear background and taken within the last three months.
- Proof of accommodation for visa That should show that you have taken care of your accommodation for all the days that you intend to stay in Schengen.
- Proof of flight reservation for a Schengen visa. This must capture details such as IATA numbers, flight numbers, dates and times of departure and exit, and of course the applicant names.
- Proof of travel medical insurance for a visa. For a Schengen visa, this must be for at least 30,000 Euros (or 2,939,426 Bangladeshi Taka). The policy details should capture the applicant’s name.
- Proof of financial capability. You must show the embassy that you have sufficient funds to take care of your travel. This should be in the form of your (or your sponsor’s) recent bank statements, credit statements, proof of foreign exchange bought, payslips (if employed), a letter from the bank showing financial capability, or any other document that can clearly show your financial worth in Bangladesh. Remember that online bank statements cannot be admissible.
- Proof that you have paid the visa application fee.
To be on the safe side, you need to be as keen as possible to make sure that you have submitted all the documents as needed. Some of these documents should be prepared well in advance. The best thing to do is to consult a documentation agency that will provide help. This is especially when it comes to cover letters, hotel bookings for visas, flight reservations for Schengen visa, and travel insurance.
Optional but Important Documents Needed for Schengen Visa in Bangladesh
Depending on your visa application situation, you may require to submit more documents. Among some of the documents that you should produce include the following;
|Situation||Documents to Present|
Approval from parents (if the kid is traveling alone).
Copies of the parent’s passports.
Courts order in case only one parent has custody of the kid.
Visa application form signed by both parents.
Income Tax Return certificate
Leave of employment written by the employer
No objection letter by the employer
Proof that you will get back to the work position (letter written by the employer).
Recent salary slips for the past six months.
(these should have English translations if not in English)
|If married to an EU/EAA citizen and/or you are a son/daughter under 21|
Marriage certificate for the spouse
Birth certificates for the son/daughter.
Copies of EU/EAA passport for the spouse or parent
|To proof of extra income||Certified bank statements for the income-generating source.|
|Retired||Pension statements for the last three months|
Copy of your Bangladesh business permit
Recent bank statements for the venture
Income tax statement for the venture
Tax Return for the venture
No objection letter from the school.
Letter of acceptance/offer/admission
Proof of enrollment in a Schengen school
|Transiting via Schengen country|
A visa for your destination
Flight ticket purchased for the destination.
|Traveling for business reasons|
Formal invitation letter from the entity in Schengen country.
Leave a letter from your employer
|Traveling for tour purposes|
Tour plan itinerary
Tour booking proof (for organized tourism through travel companies)
Proof of tour already paid (for individual tourists)
|To visit friends and relatives residing in a Schengen country|
Letter of invitation by the concerned friend or relative
Official affidavit of support (if the friend/relative is paying for the travel)
Schengen Visa Fees in Bangladesh
You should pay your visa application fees in full using Bangladeshi Taka currency equivalent to Euros. These are the current fees for visas in Bangladesh;
|Visa Category||Fee (in Euro)||Fee (in Bangladeshi Taka)|
|Children (over 6 years but below 12 years)||35||3,429|
|Short stay (not more than 90 days)||60||5,879|
|Long stay (over 90 days)||99||9,700|
|Sports/education/research/ (less than 25 years)||Free||–|
|Minors (below 6 years)||Free||–|
|Disabled Persons and persons accompanying them||Free||–|
|Persons married to EU/EEA citizens (EU and Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein) and their children under 21 years.||Free||–|
After you have prepared your document, you should present them to the visa processing office. This requires an appointment. Schengen Flight Reservation Visa can help you with the needed important documents & visa interview appointments.