Schengen Visa for Azerbaijani Citizens
Laura Amber, Tourism Guide
Schengen visa for Azerbaijani citizens is required to travel to Schengen countries in Europe. As a country in Eastern Europe, Azerbaijan is not part of the EU. However, the country enjoys close ties with the countries both in the EU and Schengen. Recently, the country experienced more facilitated Schengen visa issuance conditions. This has continued to improve the relationships with Azerbaijan on one hand and the rest of Europe on the other. More and more Azerbaijani citizens are crossing over to the rest of Europe for different travel reasons. For information about Schengen visa for Azeri, you have come to the right place.
What is Schengen Visa for Azerbaijani Citizens?
It is important to understand the history and the concept of the Schengen visa. In 1985, an agreement was signed in a small township of Schengen in Luxembourg. This agreement brought together 26 countries in Europe that agreed to abolish border restrictions for their citizens. This culminated in what is now known as the Schengen area. Citizens of Schengen area member countries do not require a visa to traverse within the territory. Likewise, citizens of other countries outside this territory require only one visa to traverse within the area. This visa is the one that is referred to as a Schengen visa. It allows the holder to enter the Schengen territory for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-days period.
Schengen visa for Azerbaijani citizens, therefore, refers to the Schengen visa that the Azeri requires to enter the Schengen territory for a period not exceeding 90 days within six months. In order for you to enter the territory, you will need to apply for a Schengen visa from Baku. You do not need to apply for multiple visas in Azerbaijan if your intention is to visit countries within this territory. But where can you go for a Schengen visa in Azerbaijan?
Where to Get Schengen Visa for Azerbaijani Citizens
The Schengen visa guidelines give clear instructions on where you should apply for your Schengen visa in Azerbaijan. This is because the process of Schengen visa application is not haphazard. The following guidelines stipulate where you should apply for your Schengen visa in Azerbaijan;
- In case you only need to visit one Schengen country, you should submit your application to the embassy of that single country.
- In case you have two or more Schengen countries of destination, you should submit your application to the embassy of the country of your main stay. Your main stay is guided by the duration of time to be spent there or the reason for the travel.
- If you have more than one Schengen country of destination, you should apply from the embassy of the country in which your first point of entry will be.
- If you have two Schengen countries of destination with the same stay in terms of duration and purpose, you can apply from any of the two.
It is good to note that not all Schengen countries have embassies and consulates in Baku, Azerbaijan. In this way, you should check whether the embassy of your chosen Schengen country is operational in the country. For example;
- To apply for a Schengen visa to Sweden in Azerbaijan, you need to go to the Swedish embassy in Moscow or consulate-general in Istanbul.
- To apply for a Schengen visa to Hungary you should go to the BLS International visa center.
- There is also Capago International to handle Schengen visa for France.
Types of Visa for Azerbaijani Passport Holders and Residents
Residents and citizens of Azerbaijan can apply for three types of visa in the country. These include the following depending on individual travel circumstances;
|Type of Visa||Visa Characteristics|
|Uniform Schengen Visas (USV)||Issued to Azerbaijani citizens and residents traveling to any of the Schengen states.
It allows entry to Schengen territory for a period of 90 days within six months.
It can be issued in form of single entry, double entry or multiple-entry.
|Limited territorial validity visas (LTV)||Issued to Azerbaijani citizens and residents intending to travel to only one or a specific number of Schengen countries.
It allows entry to the specified Schengen country or countries for a maximum of 90 days within six months.
It can be single-, double-, or multiple-entry.
|National Visas||This is issued to Azerbaijani citizens and residents wishing to travel to a Schengen country for a specific period. This may be for education, work, research or residence.
This can only be issued by the embassy of the country of your destination.
It allows the specific duration of time for your travel purposes.
You must return to Azerbaijan after your time is up for the purpose of the travel.
Schengen Visa Frequencies for Azerbaijan
Due to its close diplomatic, cultural and geographical relations, Azerbaijan is an important travel market for EU and Schengen. For these reasons, Azeri citizens have been visiting the Schengen region in their thousands. The following graph shows the recent frequencies for Schengen visa issuance in Azerbaijan;
Documents Required to Apply for Schengen Visa for Azerbaijani Citizens and Residents
In order for your Schengen visa for Azerbaijani citizens and residents to be processed, it is a must that you submit the required documents. These documents are as follows;
- A Covering letter outlining all there is in terms of your travel.
- Original and copy of the Schengen visa application form. The form must be filled by every applicant. This form can be downloaded from the Schengen embassy websites. Children applicants should have their application forms signed by both parents.
- Original and copy of your Azerbaijan identification card.
- Hotel bookings for visa. Hotel booking should be done for all the duration of time that you intend to be in the Schengen territory. There is no need to make pre-payments.
- Proof of travel funds that will cater for all your entire travel. This can be in form of bank statements, credit card statements, and letters from the bank, pay slips and any other document that will prove that you have the money.
- Proof of flight reservation for visa. This should show the applicant details, flight and IATA codes, dates of travel to and from the Schengen zone.
- Health insurance for visa. Schengen visa requires insurance cover of at least 30,000 Euros (or 60,081 Azerbaijani Manat).
- Recent passport photos (taken within the last three months) on a clear or white background. The photos should be glued on the application form, showing the full face.
- Valid Azerbaijani travel passport with at least two blank pages. It should be valid for at least three months beyond your return date. You should also provide copies of your previous visas if any.
- If you are a non-Azerbaijani citizen (without Azerbaijani passport) you should produce your country’s passport, in addition to Azerbaijan work permit, residence permit or work pass. You should also provide your re-entry permit that should be valid for at least 90 days beyond your re-entry date.
Additional Documents Required for Schengen Visa in Azerbaijan
For different purposes, additional documents are needed. These may be as follows;
|Condition||Documents to Present|
|For transit visa||Visa issued by the country of
Air ticket purchased for the destination country
|Children applicants||Copies of IDs or passports of both parents.
Letter of consent with signatures of both parents/guardians in case the minor is traveling alone.
Court orders if only one parent has the custody of the minor.
|Proof of additional revenue||Bank statements indicating revenue from the property/service/product.|
|Retired||Pension statements for the last six months|
Income Tax Return certificate
Certificate showing income tax deducted from your income
Leave of employment from the employer
No Objection letter from employer
Letter of proof that you will get back to your position after returning to Azerbaijan (written by the employer)
Salary slips (for the last six months)
|Employed (self)||Copy of your Azerbaijan business permit
Business bank statements (for last six months)
Business income tax certificate/ statement
|Related to EU/EAA citizen||Marriage certificates in case of being a spouse.
Birth certificate for the citizen’s child less than 21 years
Copy of EU/EAA passport for the citizen
|For business||Invitation letter from the business in the Schengen country|
|For education||Letter of admission/acceptance/offer
No-objection letter from the school.
Proof of enrollment in the institution
|For tour reasons||Tour plan
Proof of tour booking (for the organized group through tour agencies)
Proof of trip pre-payment (for individual tourists)
|Visiting friends and relatives||Invitation letter by the relative or friend
Official affidavit of support (if the friend/relative is funding the visit)
Schengen Visa Fees for Azerbaijan Passport Holders and Citizens
To apply for a Schengen visa in Azerbaijan, you have to pay the necessarily required fees. This proof of payment (payment receipts) should be submitted together with the visa application documents. The current applicable visa application fees in Azerbaijan are as follows;
|Visa Category||Fee (in Euro)||Fee (in Azerbaijan Manat)|
|Children under 12 years||Free||–|
Having the right information is important in the process of getting Schengen visa for Azerbaijani citizens. The visa application together with all the documents should be submitted on time. For proper documentation assistance, Schengen Flight Reservation Visa can help.
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.