Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa Application Process
Laura Amber, Tourism Guide
If you are looking for the latest information for Schengen travel insurance for Belgium visa, you are in the right place. Belgium is one of the 26 European states that form the Schengen area. Here, you will get all information on travel insurance for a visa before you travel to Belgium. This is crucial information you need to have to successfully choose the right travel insurance to get the visa.
Requirements for Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa
In order to get a Belgian visa, you require a proper Schengen travel insurance. When traveling to Belgium, you are supposed to be properly covered against any emergencies that can result to additional costs. With a proper insurance policy, you can enjoy your travel and stay in Belgium without any stress. You are able to concentrate on your travel business without worrying about any eventualities. There are therefore minimum requirements set by Schengen visa guidelines for what your travel insurance should cover. These are the following;
- Coverage of at least 30,000 Euros or 50,000 USD.
- Cover repatriation for medical reasons, hospital attention or death.
- Be valid for all 26 Schengen countries.
- Cover the entire period of your stay.
- Be provided by a recognized travel insurance service provider.
- The policy details should match those of the applicant (such as names, date of birth, areas covered and relationship with the beneficiary).
- Deductible should be zero.
Characteristics of Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa
Travel insurance to Belgium must have the right characteristics for it to be accepted in the visa processing exercise. In addition to the above minimum requirements, a good Schengen travel insurance for Belgium visa should also cover the following;
- Accidents and sicknesses
- Complications due to pregnancy
- Death, disability and injury
- Delays, loss, damage or theft of baggage, documents and personal effects
- Funeral overseas
- Item replacement
- Kidnapping, carjacking, and hijacking
- Medical emergencies
- Missed flight connections
- Repatriation of loved ones (children)
- Repatriation of remains in case of death
- Trip interruptions and cancellations
- Weather interruptions
You may also ask for additional coverage depending on your travel and health conditions. This may be for example if you have a pre-existing health condition such as diabetes or asthma. You may also need to cover for risky sports such as skating, surfing, scuba diving among others.
Types of Health Insurance for Belgium Visa
There are many types of health insurance offered by different insurance service providers worldwide. You can get insurance coverage before and after entering Belgium. The types of insurance you can get after entering Belgium depends on whether you need a visa. This, therefore, means that you have to be legally in the country. For the purposes of visa application, you will need to show proof of insurance. Some of the insurance types for Belgium include the following;
- The mandatory medical travel insurance for a visa. (for Schengen short-term visit)
- Medical insurance for international students (outside of Europe).
- Medical insurance for long-term visitors and legal Belgium residents.
- Medical insurance for expats, pensioners, foreign employees among others.
Before you are issued with a Schengen visa to Belgium, you need the first type of insurance. This is the one that is required to a Schengen visa to all the 26 countries that form the Schengen territory.
Why Do You Need Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa?
All persons applying for a Schengen visa must show proof of travel insurance. This is according to the Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 (which came into force in 2010).
… Applicants for a uniform visa for one or two entries shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during their stay(s) on the territory of the Member States.
The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Schengen Area Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30,000” (…)
Who Needs Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa?
Anyone seeking a Schengen visa to Belgium needs to have medical travel insurance for visa. Visitors to Belgium must have health insurance. These include short-term visitors entering the country on a Schengen visa. For you to travel to Belgium, you, therefore, need health insurance for visa application process. Without this, your visa application to Belgium will be declined.
Benefits That a Good Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa Should Provide
In order to enjoy your trip to Belgium, your travel insurance should provide good benefits. Some of the benefits that your insurance plan to Belgium should provide include the following;
- The ability for you to choose a hospital or doctor of your choice in Belgium.
- The freedom to have you covered to a maximum amount of your choice and comfort beyond the minimum €30,000 ($50,000).
- Freedom to renew the policy as you wish to depend on your travel plans.
- Coverage beyond the Schengen countries (worldwide travel insurance coverage).
- 24/7 access to an emergency medical assistance hotline that you can reach medical and health experts in case of any eventuality.
Cost of Schengen Insurance for Belgium Visa
The Schengen visa guidelines stipulate that the minimum coverage should be €30,000. However, you may feel that this is not comfortable enough for your travel needs. Different travel circumstances may necessitate different additional insurance covers. Some of these factors that can affect the cost of your travel insurance to Belgium may include the following;
- The duration of your Belgian travel. The more days that you plan to spend on your travel, the more likely that you need more cover. This means that longer duration of travel means more policy cost.
- Your travel plans. Despite the fact that the Schengen area only allows a maximum of 90 days, you may want to extend your stay by visiting non-Schengen countries. If your travel plans include visiting even non-Schengen countries, this may affect the cost of your travel insurance. Why buy multiple policies when one can cover you worldwide?
- Personal choice. In addition to the minimum amount required by the Belgian embassy, you may desire to have additional coverage. This will affect the cost of your policy.
- Your age. Younger applicants generally have cheaper insurance coverage compared to older persons.
- Pre-existing health and medical conditions. If you have pre-existing health and medical conditions such as diabetes and asthma, you may need to have that covered. This will raise the cost of your travel insurance.
- Insurance company. Different travel insurance companies offer different insurance packages. These packages cover different risks and cost differently. You should, therefore, choose wisely or have a professional agency do this for you.
How to Get Schengen Travel Insurance for Belgium Visa
There are three simple steps you need to take to get Schengen travel insurance for Belgium visa. These are;
- Go to Schengen Flight Reservation Visa
- Choose travel insurance for visa under the pricing section and fill the form.
- Place your order.
While filling the form, you should be as detailed as possible. In order to ensure that you have the best out of the system, you need to do the following;
- Ensure that the names correspond with the ones that are on your passport.
- Provide a working email address (this will be used to send payment confirmation and the final document).
- Ensure that the phone number provided includes your country calling code (this will be used for purposes of any clarification from you only).
- Enter the number of persons applying and the number of days needed.
- Select the country you are traveling from and put Belgium as the country you are traveling to.
- Enter the date of departure and the date of exit from Belgium.
- Fill the details of the first traveler, names, dates of birth and address. Include the beneficiary.
- In case there is a second traveler, provide the details as above.
- In case you need the document urgently, indicate that from the drop-down option provided.
- Review your form and once satisfied, then finally proceed to payment.
Once you have made the payment, you will get a payment confirmation message on your email. You will then wait for between 12 and 24 hours. In case you opted for a faster processing time, you will have your document on your email as requested.
Using Schengen Flight Reservation Visa services comes with important advantages. The travel insurance provided not only valid in the Schengen territory, but also worldwide. Using this system, you can order all the documents that you need. These include covering letter, no-objection letter, flight itinerary and proof of accommodation for visa. The system is easy to use and the services affordable. To cap it all, you can cancel your travel insurance for free if, for any reason, your Belgium visa is declined.
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.