For up-to-date information on Schengen visas for Pakistani passport holders and citizens, you should read on. Pakistan is an important tourist market for countries in the Schengen visa zone. In the past year, more than 50 thousand Pakistanis traveled to these countries for various reasons. This number is expected to rise as the country continues to harness stronger diplomatic ties and relationships with countries in this region and the rest of Europe.
About Schengen Visa for Pakistani Citizens:
When traveling from Pakistan to any of the countries in the Schengen visa area, you need to get a Schengen visa. The Schengen visa was brought about by what is called the Schengen Agreement of 1985 which brought together 26 countries under one visa territory. The agreement was made in a town called Schengen in Luxembourg. The Schengen visa permits you to transit through, enter or stay in any of these countries for a short stay (not more than 90 days within 180 days of being issued with the visa).
Before starting the application process for a Schengen visa for Pakistani passport holders from within the country, you need to know the requirements and all details that go with getting one. In Pakistan, there are Schengen embassies and consulates for all Schengen visa zone countries in Islamabad apart from the following countries;
- If you need a Schengen visa to Estonia in Pakistan, you should go to the Hungarian embassy in Islamabad.
- Schengen visas to Luxembourg from Pakistan are issued at the Belgium embassy in Islamabad.
- Schengen visas to Slovakia from Pakistan are issued at the Czech Republic embassy in Islamabad.
- Although there is a Slovenia honorary consulate in Karachi, Schengen visas to this country from Pakistan are issued at the German embassy in Islamabad or the German consulate in Karachi.
You should also note the following;
- Ireland does not have a consulate in Islamabad, it is in Karachi.
- Finland has additional consulates in Karachi and Lahore
- Iceland and Latvia have additional consulates in Karachi
- Malta does not have a consulate in Islamabad; the two are in Karachi and Lahore.
Types of Visa for Pakistani Passport Holders:
You need to be aware of the type of visa that you need before making an application. The following are the type of visas you can apply for as a Pakistani citizen;
|Type of Visa||Purpose of Travel|
|Transit Visa||Issued to Pakistanis spending between 1-5 days in a Schengen country en route to a non-Schengen state.|
Uniform Schengen Visas
|Issued to Pakistanis in need of staying or transiting through any of the Schengen area states for a maximum of 90 days from the date of entry within the three months allowed. With this visa type, you are permitted single, double, or multiple entries.|
Limited territorial validity
|Issued to Pakistanis wishing to travel to only one Schengen area state. If you need two or more other states, you have to specify for them to be included on the visa.|
|National Visas||Issued to Pakistanis wishing to travel to a Schengen country for a specific period and for particular reasons such as education, employment, business, etc. This type of visa is applied for by the host country’s embassy. The holder is expected to return to Pakistan after that.|
Schengen Visa for Pakistani Passport Holders Statistics
Pakistan is one of the major travel markets for Europe and other Schengen countries in Asia. More and more citizens from Pakistan are traveling to Schengen countries for trade, education, business, the tour among many other reasons. The growing number of Pakistanis seeking to travel to these countries is an indicator of the country’s commitment to strengthening diplomatic ties with this Schengen economic zone.
Who and Where to Apply for Schengen Visa in Pakistan?
To apply for a Schengen visa in Pakistan, you have to be a legal Pakistani resident. This means that you must be a Pakistani citizen or a legal Pakistani long-term resident. There is no way to choose at which embassy or consulate of a Schengen country to make the visa application. You must make the application at the embassy or consulate of the country where you intend to stay the longest. If this is impossible to determine (for instance bus tours, cruises), then you should make the application at the embassy or consulate of the country of your first entry point.
Documents Required from Pakistani Passport Holders:
In order for your Schengen visa to be processed, you need to provide the following documents in person at the right consulate or embassy in Pakistan. All documents should have English translations if presented in other languages. The bank statements provided should cover the last six months and the previous year.
- Original and a copy of the common Schengen visa application form clearly and dully filled and signed by the applicant.
- An original NADRA-issued family registration certificate, attested by the Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs should be attached to the application. You should also provide family registration records from NADRA.
- Pakistani electronic identification card (ID).
- Three passport photographs. Must be taken in color against a clear background within the last six months. The photo should clearly capture the full face, with no veils, hats, scarf, side posing, or photoshopping.
- Valid travel passport. Must be machine-readable, have at least two blank pages, and be valid for at least three months past the last day of your stay in the Schengen country.
- Copies of previous visas and past passports (if any) along with the valid current one as stated above.
- A cover letter showing your travel purposes and itinerary.
- Arrange for your travel/health/accident insurance. This should be a minimum of 30,000 Euros (or 4,272,605 Pakistani Rupees). The policy produced should show the policy number, the name of the holder, validity, and benefits. Additionally, it should cover emergencies and repatriation.
- Flight reservation/air ticket. This should show the dates of the flight, flight numbers, and specific entry and exit times.
- Provide proof of accommodation This should cover the entire period that you will be in the Schengen zone.
- Include civil documents if applicable to your circumstance. These may be marriage, death, and birth certificates.
- Provide proof of your financial capability to cater for travel and stay in the Schengen countries for the entire period of your travel. Certified bank statements for the last six months should be okay. Online bank statements are not recognized.
- Proof of foreign exchange buying.
Other Documents for Schengen Visa for Pakistani Passport Holders:
Depending on your circumstances, additional documents should be provided. The following table shows the scenarios and the required documents. These documents should be produced either as support or proof.
|If you are looking for an airport transit or transit visa||
Visa of your final destination country if it is the non-Schengen country
A plane ticket
|If married||Two copies of Nikah Nama|
|If formally employed||
Current bank statements (for the last six months and the previous year)
Income Tax Return/Certificate of income tax deducted from salary
Permission of leave from the employer
Proof of employment continuation after travel
Recent salary slips
|If in self-employment||
A copy of the Pakistani business license
Business bank statements (for the last six months and the previous year)
Business Income Tax Return
|If under pension||Pension statements for the last six months (and the previous year)|
|If on business travel||A letter of invitation from the partner business|
|If traveling for studies||
A no-objection from the educational institution.
Letter of acceptance
Proof of enrollment in a recognized institution
|If visiting friends and relatives residing in a Schengen country||
Formal invitation by a friend or relative
Signed official affidavit of support (if the friend/relative is catering to your financial needs)
|If providing additional proof of income||Property income bank statements for the last six months|
|If you are a minor||
Copies of passports or IDs of both parents
Notarized parental authorization signed by both parents and guardians in case the minor is traveling without the parents.
The family court order is if only one parent has full custody of the minor.
The minor’s birth certificate
Visa application form was signed by the two parents.
|If a spouse of an EU/EAA citizen and/or their child under 21||
Marriage/ Birth certificates
Copy of spouse’s EU/EAA passport
Document Submission and Payment for Schengen Visa for Pakistani Passport Holders:
After making sure that all the required and necessary supporting documents are ready, you should personally submit them to the correct embassy or consulate. Remember that you cannot just walk in; you need to have made an appointment with the Schengen mission in Islamabad. You are expected to honor the appointment and be there before 9 am. You should make the application at least 15 days before your intended date of travel.
Make sure the payment for your visa processing is done on time. The following table shows the current fees applicable for a Schengen visa in Pakistan.
|Visa Category||Fee (in Euro)||Fee (in Pakistani Rupee)|
|Short stay (less than 90 days)||60||8,546|
|Long stay (exceeding 90 days)||180||25,636|
|Minors (past 6 years but below 12 years||35||4,985|
|Minors (less than 6 years)||Free||–|
|Spouses of EU/EEA citizens (EU and Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein) and children under 21||Free||–|
|For education/research/sports (below 25 years)||Free||–|
Visa fees paid cannot be reimbursed in case the visa application is not successful. The visa may be canceled and issued if there is sufficient proof or indication that vital requirements are no longer in position, such as loss of financial capability of sustaining your travel.
In conclusion, being issued with a Schengen visa in Pakistan is only one of the requirements to be allowed into the Schengen territory. The border police may ask you for proof of accommodation, insurance, etc. Have those documents with you all the time. When looking for a Schengen visa for Pakistani passport holders, it is wise to consult the services of Schengen Flight Reservation Visa for visa documentation.
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.
Subscribe to our Awesome Newsletter.